Mclean brothers from Nova Scotia 1860...on Ash Island 1890s

Here is where you can let us know about your Hunter Valley families and if you need help in your research.

Mclean brothers from Nova Scotia 1860...on Ash Island 1890s

Postby rwwaugh » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:52 am

Brand new member here..

Malcolm and Murdock McLean (Nova Scotia) arrived Sydney on Brig "George Henderson" 4 Ap 1860. We have a letter from Murdock showing he lived on Ash Island (or maybe Hexham) in 1889. We have some other dates from your Registry BDM site. Could someone there give some advice to a member on the other side of the world
Thanks
Ralph Waugh
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
I am interested in four passengers on th eGeorge Henderson, Arriv Sydney 1860: Murdock Mclean, his brother Malcolm McLean and wife Ann (Reid); Donald (Dan) Mcleod. I think they all settled on Ash Island. Also Mayfield & Waratah.
- Ralph Waugh
rwwaugh

Postby Patricia » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi Ralph
Helps if you can be specific about the information you are seeking, you are more likely to receive an answer to your query. :D
Cheers,
Pat
Site Admin
Humphreys; BKM, ENG/Greedy; SOM, ENG/Jarvis; DOR, ENG/ Barry; KIK, IRL/Picksley; London, ENG/Walker; DON, IRL/Limond; NSW/Shaw; Amoy [now Xiamen], CHINA/ James; MDX, ENG.
Patricia
Site Admin

Postby Bea » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi Ralph
Have a little information you might like to have from 1889 Census
Joseph McLean household includes 5 males 2 females
Murdock McLean 2 males 2 females
James McLean 4 males 2 females
Found it amongst some early settler records of Ash Island
Can also send you via email a map showing Where Ash Island is and what the river islands looked at that time, and how they look now. If you would like to see it.
Regards Bea
Bea
Families Morris Ettinger Markham Weston Buffier Dreis Farrell Kelly
Bea

MacLeans

Postby rwwaugh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:56 am

HI Bea..
Thank you for your information from the 1889 Census...it is very useful for me. I would also like to see the Ash Island and river maps if you could send them.
cheers
Ralph
I am interested in four passengers on th eGeorge Henderson, Arriv Sydney 1860: Murdock Mclean, his brother Malcolm McLean and wife Ann (Reid); Donald (Dan) Mcleod. I think they all settled on Ash Island. Also Mayfield & Waratah.
- Ralph Waugh
rwwaugh

MacLeans of Ash Island

Postby Bea » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi Ralph
Was looking for someone else in the Parliamentary returns of landholders, 1885, Maitland District Index when I came accross two of your Macleans
It read
Name of Occupier/Name of Holding/Post town of Holding
M'Lean, James/ Ash Island/ Hexham
M'Lean Murdock/ Ash Island / Hexham
Sorry I couldn't help with your other names. But the census records I had access to were only an extract

Bea
Bea
Families Morris Ettinger Markham Weston Buffier Dreis Farrell Kelly
Bea

Re: Mclean brothers from Nova Scotia 1860...on Ash Island 1

Postby dgarred » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Ralph,

I have just joined the hunter valley genealogy forum and have previously been a guest at this site. I note with great interest you have connections with one of my ancestors Murdock Mclean from Nova Scotia. Murdock was my ggg grandfather who was married to Charlotte Grattin, Their son Joseph who was born in Nova Scotia is my decendant, they lived at Ash Island. I have only just started on our family history and had not looked into how they arrived here. Murdocks father was John and Mother Janet Mcleod. Their children were John born 1847 I don't think he came to Australia, James born 1848, Joseph Mclean b 1851 Mary Ann b 1856 and Jane b ? died 1862 Australia. I would be very interested in any information you could give me about the family from Nova Scotia. Hoping you can help and if I could help you in any way I would like to do so. I was born at Hexham which is across the river from Ash Island and still have my mother alive and she has told me quite a lot about the Island.

Diane
dgarred

Re: Mclean brothers from Nova Scotia 1860...on Ash Island 1

Postby ClaireMc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi Diane
I to am a relative of Muroch's. My line is from Mary Anne. I'd love to catch up on this line. I have a litle on Jane you might like.
Claire
ClaireMc

Return to Hunter Valley