Preston and Ferguson convict family

Do you have a convict in your family? Tell us about him/her, doesn't have to be a convict who settled in the Hunter.

Preston and Ferguson convict family

Postby jennyb » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:04 pm

My Paternal Grandmother was a daughter of John Duncan Ferguson and Matilda Crump which links me back to first fleeter John Rowe (Scarborough) and Isabella Manson (Lady Juliana) through their daughter Sarah and her son Isaac Crump.

John Duncan Ferguson is the eldest son of John Ferguson (Asia) and Harriet Forner BC. If you have looked at the 1828 census you will see that Harriets mother Lucy (Forner/Furner) (Greenock)came free, is living with John (Heroine ) (came free). Most people presume that John is Harriets father except that John arrived in 1822 and Lucy arrived in 1828, four months before Harriet was born. Lucy died in 1830 and there is no record of who she really was. The passenger list for the Greenock 1828 gives names which can be checked against the 1828 census and I have accounted for all except a Miss Dickinson. Was Lucy this woman who was coming to Australia, and had her life changed by becoming pregnant on the voyage, I will never know, and who was the father of Harriet, another passenger, a member of crew or someone from a port of call on the way. I doubt whether DNA could sort that one out for me, as is said fact is stranger than fiction.

Also on the Asia 1820 with John Ferguson was my Paternal grandfather's, grandfather Joseph Preston. Joseph settled at Lower Portland and married Hannah O'Donald BC daughter of John O'Donald (Admiral Gambier) and Ann Beard (Britannia). Ann had a child Elizabeth Ewing (1809) before she married John in 1810 and they had a daughter Mary in 1812 and Hannah in 1814. John died in 1815 age 30years. On the 1828 census Ann is living at Lower Portland with Thos Johnston. The list by Smee of births in Australia 1788 to 1828 gives a son born to John and Ann in 1806 but this is incorrect.

In 1905 William Preston (son of John Preston and Harriet Bailey) and Alice Maud Ferguson (daughter of John Duncan Ferguson and Matilda Crump) married.
jennyb

Re: Preston and Ferguson convict family

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi Jenny,

As you know I also have John Rowe and Isabella Manson in my tree along with their daughter Sarah and Edward Hewtison .

Wondering if anyone else here has ties going back to John and Isabella ?
Mark

Postby JillianR » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi Jenny and Mark

John and Isabella do appear on my family tree also, although it's a very distant connection, through the Wethered/Drayton/Bridge and Craft families. I like to see how all the early settlers have become connected so my data base has reached 3,000 somehow related people.

Best wishes
Jillian
JillianR

Postby jennyb » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Jillian there is only 6 degrees of separation between us all and for the early days it was much less. Sarah Bridge nee Woodbury had a child Agnes with John Ferguson before he married Harriet (she died age 2yrs), A Sarah Bridge had children with James Purvey (mother Sarah Rowe), Edward Craft married Mary Yardley (Mother Sarah Rowe) and Phillis Craft married Isaac Crump (mother Sarah Rowe). I have been looking at the Parish Registers and am amazed at how the families interconnect.
jennyb

Postby MargaretB » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:48 pm

It certainly is a tangled web they wove.

I am related through Rubelana Phyllis Harriet FERGUSON (1868-1955), wife of my first cousin 3x removed John Thomas BAILEY (1876-1914), son of John Thomas BAILEY and Elizabeth Ann PINTOUX.
MargaretB
Lake Macquarie
NSW Australia

Researching EVANS Victoria, FRENCH-HAYDON Tumut, DENNEY Lake Macquarie, DAVEY-WEMYSS Kurri, BERGHOFER Blue Mountains, LOCKWOOD-DUNN England, RAYNER-PINCHAM Mudgee.
MargaretB

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm

When I looked at the list of people buried at Wollombi I was amazed at just how many of them would be related to me in one way or other. Very, very interesting
Mark

Postby MargaretB » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:16 pm

It is certainly difficult to work out who is related to who.

The only way I found some of the relationships was to add them all to a family history database and then link them as the information came to hand.

It meant that I also have unrelated people on my database, but they may link in later, especially when you consider that they intermarried with most of the well known names of the Wollombi.

Incidently, while on holidays we visited the museum at Wollombi, and they had photos of a lot of the families that we are researching, I did attempt to photograph some of them, but haven't had time to check them out yet, I remember one photo with only the inscription of CRUMP (female), don't know which one yet. There are more which I will sift through later and post the names on the forum, if Pat gets the Gallery back up I may even post them there (if they have turned out).
MargaretB
Lake Macquarie
NSW Australia

Researching EVANS Victoria, FRENCH-HAYDON Tumut, DENNEY Lake Macquarie, DAVEY-WEMYSS Kurri, BERGHOFER Blue Mountains, LOCKWOOD-DUNN England, RAYNER-PINCHAM Mudgee.
MargaretB

Postby jennyb » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:45 am

Hi Margaret,
I intend going to Wollombi over the Australia day weekend, I hear they have a good market there that weekend and the Museum as well as revisiting the cemetery and all the places people lived etc,
My father, John Preston b 1906, d 1972, used to tell me stories about his Aunty Tina and Bina, I think it was Bina who could still do a high kick to the top of the door when she was over 80. Do you know of the Theodosia Ferguson and Willis connection?
We are probably more intertwined as 5 of Joseph Prestons children married Baileys, I'm from John Preston and Harriet Bailey b 1845, she is the daughter of William Bailey and Jane Knight, In my family history there is a poem about Granny Jane and I believe it is her, it was written by W. Eland, and strange one of my friends in Brisbane is an Eland. I haven't found anything about the early Elands as I've been looking at the BDM's.
The other Preston children spouses are Jurd, Cross, Wilson, Thompson, Walker, Sternbeck and Sneesby.
Jenny
jennyb

Postby MargaretB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Jenny

Do you know of the Theodosia Ferguson and Willis connection?

NO, I have Theodoshia marrying
SCADDEN.BENJAMIN TO FERGUSON.THEODOSHIA 27/3/1897
BORN REDFERN. WIDOWER. BORN BRISBANE WATERS. 21 YRS.
38 YRS. [LABOURER]
JOHN SCADDEN & LUCINDA THOMPSON. JOHN FERGUSON & MATILDA CRUMP.
WIT: LOYAL FERGUSON & MATILDA CRUMP.

Children Baptisms;
SCADDEN.BENJAMIN & THEODOSIA.
JENETTA MELVINA BEATRICE.16/3/1897. LAGUNA. LABOURER.
CLYTESS ? LIONEL. 2/3/1900. " "

I also have WILLIS in my data, which one?
David WILLIS (1793-1876) "Lord Sidmouth" partner: Mary Maria CONWAY-O'SHANNESY-MAXFIELD "Hooghley" (1817-1885).

I haven't followed through with the John PRESTON (1850-1939), Harriet BAILEY (1850-1933) line yet.

Do you know if Joseph PRESTON (1803-1863) "Asia" is connected to the John PRESTON (1798-?) "Prince of Orange" father of Charlotte partner: James HYDE "Prince George" ?

You will enjoy Wollombi, the courthouse is something special, make sure you leave yourself enough time to look at it all. Also have a look in the general store, they also have lots of memorabilia.
MargaretB
Lake Macquarie
NSW Australia

MargaretB

Postby jennyb » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Margaret so many things to answer
Pleased if you could identify the witness at the Scadden/ Ferguson wedding, I know of the families and I couldn't read the second witness. It may be Matilda Crump but Matilda Crump/Ferguson died in confinement (childbirth) in 1889

Theodoshia also married Amos L Gaffney in 1927 in Sydney

Birth Wollombi 23/6/1894 Christened 10/8/1894
Hercules ?Vernon, Father John Willis (or that seems like the surname to me looking at the Parish Register) and Theodocia Ferguson both from Laguna

Joseph Preston b 1803 is the son of Joseph Preston and Margaret Mumford, born Hampstead, so there is no connection, I have the birth records for all his English Family as I have been to the records office over there. I also have all the birth records for John Ferguson's family from Glasgow, 3 of John Ferguson's sisters came out to Mangrove Creek and married local men. I do have most of the details of the children and spouses of all the Preston Children but not typed out yet good enough to put on this site, but working on it.
jennyb

Postby MargaretB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi Jenny

From the Wollombi District Anglican Marriages (Cessnock District Historical Society) page 41
It definitely reads Matilda CRUMP but doesn't identify which one, and I couldn't see any possibles in my data.
They were married at the House of John FERGUSON, Laguna.
Benjamin had previously been married to Sarah STERNBECK (dau of George and Jane Sophia THOMPSON).

I will attempt to work out which John WILLIS was the father of Hercules Irwin FERGUSON 23/6/1894.
MargaretB
Lake Macquarie
NSW Australia

MargaretB

Postby MargaretB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi Jenny

Have found a John WILLIS (1857-?) son of John and Elizabeth (DIPLOCK), 1st marriage 1884 to Jane CRUMP (1855-1886) dau of Issac and Phyllis (CRAFT), Jane died in childbirth 1886, 2nd marriage 1888 to Katherine POLSON (1869-?) dau of Thomas and Mary (CASTLES).

Don't know if this is the right one, but the timelines look right.
MargaretB
Lake Macquarie
NSW Australia

MargaretB

Postby jennyb » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:43 am

Margaret,
That Willis does sound like the right one,
re the wedding, I have been looking at the Parish Registers BBM's for all parishes and also the Newcastle diocese, I will have another look today and see if someone can help me check it out, it is very difficult to read but obviously someone thought they could read it if they have put a name in.

also interesting that a lot of these births when the mother wasn't married took the mothers name, Mary Yardley who married Edward Craft had children with Henry Mead but I found a marriage for one of the children as Craft not Mead, although Henry is listed as the parent.
J.
jennyb

Postby jennyb » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Re the Scadden/Ferguson marriage, I can make out the name Maud as the second witness with the start of an F, that would be Alice Maud Ferguson, (I enlarged the record to make it easier to read, her signature is not really visible and perhaps the ink on the pen was getting a bit dry), she always called herself Maud to the family and is listed as Maud Ferguson when she had a child in 1904.
jennyb

Postby jennyb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:12 pm

I know this topic is old but I have just found on Rootsweb http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1143879481 a Theodosia Scadden b 1905, I cannot find a BDM for any Scadden born in that year, and not sure how it got there, they have that this Theodosia married Amos Gaffney, but I have Theodosia Ferguson Scadden m Amos Gaffney , even though there was a big age difference, and the newspapers seem to support this marriage with her death notice. any clues.
Jenny
jennyb

Next

Return to Convicts