Duggan Family Underbank

Here is where you can let us know about your Hunter Valley families and if you need help in your research.

Re: Duggan Family Underbank

Postby Jduggan » Sun May 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Dear Sylvia
Yes, I am the Heather afore described, and I did have a cousin Robyn who lived at Jannali. My sister told me she is now deceased, I don't know when.
Heather
Jduggan

Postby Sylvia Anderson » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Jduggan wrote:Dear Sylvia
Yes, I am the Heather afore described, and I did have a cousin Robyn who lived at Jannali. My sister told me she is now deceased, I don't know when.
Heather

Yes, I knew she had died, (another mutual friend told me) but I can't remember quite when as the years have flown so quickly and we have moved around the state, lived in the ACT as well.

We had some good times growing up in Jannali and I have a photo/s of Robyn in my album from my youth.
She was a very good Nurse and moved up the ranks from there.

Sylvia
Many Dungog, Port Stephens and Hunter families come into my tree.
Sylvia Anderson

Postby Sylvia Anderson » Mon May 03, 2010 4:24 pm

Jduggan wrote:Dear Sylvia
Heather

Hi Heather,

Can you refresh my memory as to Robyn's parent's names? Did Robyn die in Adelaide as I recall my other friend may have mentioned that she did. If so she died in October 2005 aged 62.

Thank you,

Sylvia
Sylvia Anderson

Postby JillianR » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi Sylvia

I went to Newcastle Library today and found that Bernard Sidney Duggan was living at 104 Bull St Cooks Hill in 1922 with Henry Haywood Duggan and George Singleton Duggan. The only birth I can find is John B S Duggan born 1886 to John and Catherine in Murrurundi. Do you have them on your tree? Any chance that he went to live with William and Elizabeth? He married Adeline Shellnoch in 1908 in West Maitland and they had a son Bernard W (William?) born 1909 Newcastle.

Also in 1922 Isabella Duggan was living at 87 Bull St Cooks Hill which is almost across the road from 104, I went there today too. Frank the Elusive wasn't there in 1922. He was however with her in 1921 at 73 Charlton St Hamilton, occupation coal trimmer. So he either died or ran off in 1921/22 and she moved to a house across the road from three of his brothers.

Thanks
Jillian
JillianR
Central Coast
NSW Australia

Researching Oldham, Kelleher, Kerr, Wethered, Frazier, Wright, Ray and Rowe.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... index.html
JillianR

Postby Sylvia Anderson » Wed May 05, 2010 7:40 am

Hi Jillian,

Yes, I have them in my tree.

Do you know where William and Elizabeth were living before they died? Was it 104 Bull Street, Cooks Hill? Their death registrations were in Newcastle. William died in 1914 and Elizabeth in 1904 so Frank could not have gone to live with them unless one of the family members was still living in the house. All Frank's sisters had married before William died but as Elizabeth died in 1904, maybe their daughter Elizabeth, (as she married 1906, the other two having married before their mother died), was living in the family home and caring for her father.

It is a mystery about your Frank.

Sylvia
Sylvia Anderson

Postby JillianR » Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 am

I don't know where William and Elizabeth lived but will try to find out. They are both buried at Sandgate, as are the 3 brothers from Bull St, but Frank isn't.

Bernard William died in 1979 parents Sydney and Adeline, that's fine, but what do you make of these? Is it possible Bernard Sidney was really John BS from Murrurundi? Aha, one is named Francis J.

21623/1957 DUGGAN LESLIE GORDON JOHN ADELINE PETERSHAM
6150/1962 DUGGAN WILLIAM GLEN JOHN ADELINE MUSWELLBROOK
4491/1925 DUGGAN FRANCIS J JOHN ADELINE MUSWELLBROOK
15372/1977 DUGGAN LORIS MAXWELL JOHN ADELINE
JillianR
Central Coast
NSW Australia

JillianR

Postby Sylvia Anderson » Wed May 05, 2010 2:05 pm

JillianR wrote:I don't know where William and Elizabeth lived but will try to find out. They are both buried at Sandgate, as are the 3 brothers from Bull St, but Frank isn't.

Bernard William died in 1979 parents Sydney and Adeline, that's fine, but what do you make of these? Is it possible Bernard Sidney was really John BS from Murrurundi? Aha, one is named Francis J.

21623/1957 DUGGAN LESLIE GORDON JOHN ADELINE PETERSHAM
6150/1962 DUGGAN WILLIAM GLEN JOHN ADELINE MUSWELLBROOK
4491/1925 DUGGAN FRANCIS J JOHN ADELINE MUSWELLBROOK
15372/1977 DUGGAN LORIS MAXWELL JOHN ADELINE

Hi Jillian,

Bernard Sidney died 1927/1739 Newcastle to parents William and Elizabeth.

Do you have a marriage for Bernard William?

As for the Children of John and Adeline, they were all born to John Duggan who married Adeline/Adaline Bailey 1892/4694 Lithgow and births of 8 children were registered 1893 to 1907 at Rylstone except for Leslie Gordon he must have been born after 1909. Adeline is also spelt Adaline for some of the births and the death of a Thomas Harley who was born 1897/6863 Rylstone to them.

Sylvia
Sylvia Anderson

Postby Sylvia Anderson » Wed May 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Jillian,

John B. S. Duggan born 1886/224167 Murrurundi to John and Catherine died as Bernard S. 1901/10905 Petersham to John and Catherine.

Sylvia
Sylvia Anderson

Postby JillianR » Wed May 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Thankyou that sorts them out quite nicely. Still missing a birth record for Bernard Sidney. I tried to find a death for Adeline, there are 2 in Sydney but I can't match with parents' names as Shellnoch seems to be a misspelling of something else. No marriage for their son.
JillianR
Central Coast
NSW Australia

JillianR

Postby Sylvia Anderson » Wed May 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Jillian,

Hi Jillian,

Shellnoch seems like it may be Schellnack. There is a Ferdinand Schellnack married Susannah Pettler 1886/4792 Parramatta. The only Schellnack records I can find are his and his children. He died 1939/13253 Parramatta to a Charles and Katherine.

They are the only two names with that kind of a spelling in the records. Also found one spelling of Shellnack for Ferdinand's family.

Sylvia

PS.The Adeline Bailey who married John Duggan she died 1946/16016 Burwood to James and Mary under Adeline Duggan and she was born Adeline Bailey 1873/203447 Wellington to a James and Mary. So you can rule out that Adeline Duggan death record.
Sylvia Anderson

Postby JillianR » Fri May 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi Sylvia

I have a partial transcription for Lola Duggan's marriage in 1927 which lists her father as Francis John Duggan, labourer. Is this a good indication that he was still alive?

Have also ordered a full transcription for the death in 1977 of Isabell Duggan father Edward mother Bella as I have the burial record from Sandgate for that (thankyou Margaret) and the lady in question was living in Merewether and aged 97.

Thanks
Jillian
JillianR
Central Coast
NSW Australia

JillianR

Postby Sylvia Anderson » Fri May 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Jillian,

Who did Lola marry? I think it is a good indication that either he was still alive in 1927 or the family thought he was still alive.

I wonder if he was still alive in 1945 when John William Duggan born 1909 married Ellen Dorothy Fitzgerald.
John William died 1973/82410 to Francis and Isabella.

Are you saying that Isabella Duggan nee Kellehear did not die in 1962 Hamilton but in 1977 Merewether aged 97 years?

Sylvia
Sylvia Anderson

Postby JillianR » Fri May 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi Sylvia

That definitely wasn't her in 1962 died Hamilton, that was Isabella Cecelia Duggan nee Armstrong who married Stanley Duggan in Stockton 1906, parents Thomas Henry and Christina. In 1930 they were living in Cessnock while Frank's wife Isabella was living in Cooks Hill. She was buried 19/9/62 Sandgate age 82, so both ladies were actually the same age. As for the 1977 death, I should know in a couple of weeks.

Lola married Albert George Moodie, he worked on the railway and they lived at Fennell Bay.

Best wishes
Jillian
JillianR
Central Coast
NSW Australia

JillianR

Isabella Duggan nee Kelleher

Postby JillianR » Thu May 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi Sylvia,

It's her! And she was living with her daughter Jean just as I remembered. (sometimes you just think you're going mad)

Date of death 1 Apr 1977
place Royal Newcastle Hospital, Newcastle, Usual residence 124 National Park St, Merewether
name Isabell Duggan
Occupation widow
Sex female
Age 97
Cause of death Myocardial infarct, mesenteric infarct, generalised arterioslerosis
Duration 5 minutes, 3 days, 20yrs
Medical attendant K Christie, medical practitioner
Father Edward Kelleher
Mother Bella Weatherhead
Informant JM Rowland, daughter, 124 National Park Street, Merewether; registered 13 Apr 1977
When buried 4 Apr 1977
Where Catholic Cemetery, Sandgate
Where born Myall, NSW
Place married Newcastle NSW
Age at marriage 28
Spouse Francis Duggan
Children of marriage Lola 71, John (deceased), Jean 65, William 62

Well the father's name was wrong but then James died in 1887 and Edward his brother died 1925 so perhaps Jean remembered him. :D
JillianR
Central Coast
NSW Australia

JillianR

Postby MargaretB » Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Sandgate Cemetery
DUGGAN Isabell
04.04.1977, 97yrs, Roman Catholic, Select, 77, 151, Abode Merewether.
MargaretB
Lake Macquarie
NSW Australia

Researching EVANS Victoria, FRENCH-HAYDON Tumut, DENNEY Lake Macquarie, DAVEY-WEMYSS Kurri, BERGHOFER Blue Mountains, LOCKWOOD-DUNN England, RAYNER-PINCHAM Mudgee.
MargaretB

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Valley